If you want to hire an Internet of Things (IoT) developer, you will need to make yourself familiar with several things before you start the recruitment process. What are the main skills you should look for, which top technologies IoT developers use, what to look for in an Internet of Things resume – these are all questions you need to be aware in order to make the best choice and land top IoT talent.
Read on for several useful tips on the most important things you should look for before hiring an IoT developer.
Most Important Skills for an IoT Developer
An IoT developer should be able to:
- Be able to apply all networking rules to the IoT device as it will be a part of the local network of the business, institution, or your home.
- Know about best practices in the internet and network security to be able to protect the data that is stored on the IoT device
- Work with different electrical components such as LEDs, capacitors, resistors, breadboards.
- Use low-level, as well as high-level programming languages as IoT development requires a lot of programming.
- Analyze the data and extract insights to improve IoT product services.
Most Popular IoT Technologies
These are the most important Internet of Things technologies that will help to maximize the potential of IoT products.
- IoT Security – as IoT devices are frequently used inside private homes, a lot of IoT technology products focus on tight security.
- IoT Analytics for better and more efficient analysis of the data collected by the IoT network.
- IoT Platforms – a single tool providing a solution for different aspects such as IoT development, maintenance, and support.
- Long-Range and Short-Range Low-Power Wireless IoT Networks
- Development Kits that enable fast prototyping of IoT devices
- IoT Device Management to be able to monitor the status and condition of a IoT devices.
- IoT Operating Systems specifically designed for the Internet of Things.
- Machine Learning that optimizes artificial intelligence and makes learning from data possible without the need for human intervention
- Edge Computing – cloud computing method that performs the data processing near the edges of the network.
Most Important IoT Layers
Thanks to the IoT, the power of the internet can be brought to almost every equipment, gadget, or appliance. These devices can automate a vast spectrum of tasks, and improve the user experience by extracting data from their surroundings. An IoT system usually has these functional layers:
- Perception Layer – data extraction from the environment through sensors that measure location, temperature, speed, orientation, pressure.
- Network Layer – IoT devices are connected to the internet and the information gathered from the perception layer is shared with the rest of the world
- Middleware Layer – performs data processing and calculations, as well as providing storage for the Internet of Things device.
- Application Layer – presents the information to the users so that they can control the IoT device.
- Business Layer – the collected data from the IoT device is used for the improvement of the product and maximizing the business value.